The excerpt we watched in class from Showcase's The L-word has stayed in my mind for longer than I probably would have liked. Was I shocked? Yes. Was the feeling tactile? Definitely - my heart raced and I was terrified. But as the rape scene between lesbian lovers created a tactile space for me, did it do the same for everyone in the class? The simultaneous contemplation we experienced is something that I have been intrigued by for years. The whole "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is one of the most believable cliches out there I think. I find that everything (not only in the art world) is so subjective, that no matter how outraged or frightened that rape scene made me, I'm sure the person sitting to my left had a different take on things.
A point that I could not help but think about is the scene from Unfaithful with Diane Lane. A similar thing happens, although here in a heterosexual space, where the male partner forced himself upon his mistress. She eventually "gets into it" and allows him to have his way with her. So why then was I not so "shocked"? Was it perhaps that I didn't have the "heightened presence of mind" to cushion what I was looking at? Was it because it was between a man and a woman, and the woman was the victim to which we are so accustomed to seeing? Was it slightly arousing or outright horrendous? The frustrating point is, that everyone puts a different subjectivity on what they view, and through popular selection and agency, skews the idea even further.
This leads me to the idea of mass and popular culture being different, yet completely reliant on each other. If our practice in daily life not only relies on but is a result of commodities and products I can only ask myself WHO is creating this mass culture for me and everyone around me to gobble up (mmm turkey). If I can use popular discrimination to decide what I will buy into and what I won't, then how is it that someone is still spoon feeding me a commodity that I'm not even really sure I "need". And sure Fiske makes a great point that popular culture is seen as "pleasure" but then who gets to decide what is pleasurable for me? If they are the "all knowing" and can in fact determine what the great mass of individuals deem as false needs, then why can't we all use our better knowledge and see right through this capitalistic ploy? Do we really need brainless "excessive" ideas that have "escaped the control of the norm" to pleasure us (see The Simpsons)? I'm asking too many questions. All I have to conclude with is let not only these blogs, but those who they reach and those who engage in them become what (or whom) Fiske calls "the people". I want us to be (even though I think we are inherently in this WST class) those individuals who do shift away from the norm. We have to be the non-compliant resistance to dominant discourse. Because if we weren't all of these things, if people like that ceased to exist... I cannot imagine the "rape" that would occur of mass culture being forced upon us against our better judgement
Saturday, October 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I was shocked as well but not terrified, I think I just didn’t know how to respond. I agree that many things are subjective, “not only in the art world” because individuals need to build a concept in a particular context to walk away with an understanding. We relate new images we see to something else we have experienced in the pass in order to build an understanding; creating subjectivity. This I think answers your question to “did everyone in the class experience the same (tactile space) shock. This also applies to the readings we read, for example we will both read Fiske, however when discourse commences about the ‘important’ points in the article we will bring up completely different ones because each of us will have had different ‘importance(s)’ dictated to us in our lives. Both of us have been born into people accessing our needs all the time. My mom decided I needed breast milk when I was hungry – was I sure of this? I could’ve had formula, but what then is the difference between basic and false needs? Milk is a basic need, and then the type of milk (choices) becomes a false need? I think this is why we don’t ‘fight’ the certainty of our needs because we have been saturated with people accessing ours’ all the time. “I need a toothbrush that can ‘reach’ farther, I need special tampon applicators, I need blah blah blah.”
I agree being in women studies that we are inherently individuals who have shifted from the norm. I cannot fully agree with becoming the non-compliant resistance to dominant discourse. This is because when we ‘exit’ that dominant discourse we enter into another one for Feminism. That is why Dr. Tapley can ask for a ‘feminist’ reading on something because there is a norm within feminism to read with.
I understand what you mean when you question the extent to which other people in the class experienced the same shock as you did when watching the rape scene. It is important to think about the way people relate to things they view and experience as based upon previous experiences they have had. For me, I suppose the lesbian rape scene was more shocking because it is not something that I have viewed often. I have, as you pointed out, also seen heterosexual rape scenes on several occasions, and it is something that I suppose I am more desensitized to. The things I am exposed to on a regular basis as a television viewer certainly normalize heternosexual rape and violence against women, such as on CSI. Therefore it has less "shock" value for me when I watch it. Therefore, we as viewers need to be aware of our own past experiences and those of our fellow viewers around us.
I definalty agree with your comments and concerns around mass culture. I think that the quenstion of "who is telling me what I need and want?" is really interesting. Mass culture(as Fiske calls it) has become so convoluted that we are not able to place our finger on where these 'ideas' are comeing from--there is no one person or location to pinpoint.It also seems that since popular culture (the practice) and mass culture (the commodities) can be linked togeather they are able to use each other to perpetuate their "capitalistic ploy". And yes we do can and do use our better knowledge (agency) to see thorugh these ploys but at the same time we are so surrounded and permetaed with these "ploys" which can covertly tell us what we need and want it seems impossible to fully escape. Maybe I am being a cynic and I think we can all have agency however, I think that this agency varies aswell as we can never comletley escape the capitalistic ploys do to their overwhelming infiltration into our daily lives.
Post a Comment