Sunday, October 22, 2006
Steppin' All Over Discourse
Our Steppin' on Thursday took Mary Daly's idea of spinning to the next level. We questioned both language and discourse and took over a public space. We refunctioned "stepps" into somewhat of an antagonistic discourse and morphed raw materials (bras, tampons, bananas, sheet metal and the like) into tools which empowered us and gave us a voice. Speak loud ladies, speak loud. The audience that watched us (as small as it was) I think had no choice but to give us significance because in order to enjoy the performance one had to reflect and listen well to the words being chanted. We may have even converted what Mary would call "Moronic Women" into believers. haha. I think that Foucault's tenant of spatialization (knowing thy place) was also challenged on Thursday, and personally I feel pretty good about that. In that space in time I think all of us were in such a state of mind that we would have performed that short little step of ours on any stage in the world no matter what the size of the audience. I don't know if we would put ourselves in that position if we did not feel as strongly about the material we were to perform, as we did about Feministeppin'. I think we all had a little spring in our step after the show was over. Whether that was confidence, adrenaline or rejecting all that was R-E-PR-E-SS (ive) I can't be sure. All I know is I loved doing this project, and I think we're all a little more "conscious" in our subjectivity. So step on steppers, I think we should all be quite proud of what we accomplished Thursday, if only to dirty Tory floor with soiled tampons and banana peels.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment