Saturday, September 16, 2006

Blah Blah Blawg

Upon hearing that we had to create our very own blogs for women's studies I was a bit discouraged. To me blog meant endless celebrity gossip about what people wore (gasp!) and to where, or a space on the Internet for overly opinionated individuals to vent. I had always hated the way the word "blog" sounded to top it all off. However, upon attending the lecture on how to create a blog of my own, I happened to come across some very informative and even intelligent blogs out there - most by opinionated people, with half decent opinions! Needless to say I was quite surprised.

Creating a personal "space" as it is on the Internet is quite the concept. You can write what you would like, make it appear the way you would like, and even use discretion against the people who are allowed to view such choices. It was interesting to me how the Internet is so public, yet to the same extent very controlled. The format of my blog is controlled, but by me. I have links to all of the pages of my classmates in Women's Studies 320, as well as any other site I would like. I think this is a fantastic way to connect those reading my blog to sites of similar interest. The archive that is available on the blog is also great for referencing and cross referencing topics that are discussed here and in other spaces.

I hope my blog acts as a space for growth. I want to take my understanding of feminism and broaden it to such a vast form that I will begin to implement my knowledge in everyday life - possibly even enlightening others! I want it to be a haven for anything that is "woman", a celebration, empowerment and flat out adoration. Because we all know we deserve it!

Here's to 10 weeks of Woman...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hey Aline (cool name by the way),

I felt the same way when I found out we had to make a weekly blog for class, except I was discouraged not so much because I thought blogs were full of celebrity gossip but that they were too complicated for a mere little person like me to figure out. The term "blog" itself seems so foreign. Now, just like the rest of the class (it seems), I know creating blogs/text online really is not that difficult and is a great way to share ideas. Also, it is an innovative way to create a space for feminist discussion that is less intimidating than trying to get my thoughts out coherently in class. I have a tendency to blush everytime I try to speak.

Like you, I also want to use this forum to help me learn to integrate my feminist beliefs into my life, and who knows, maybe grow as a person. Maybe I'll be one of those others you enlighten...